Sunday, July 27, 2008

Istanbul


I haven't had much time to keep up with the news lately, but I managed to catch just a bit today and it happened to be about the explosions in Istanbul.  First, it's a terrible situation and I do give my condolences to the family members of those who didn't make it and those who were hurt.  On a second note, I felt so safe while traveling around Istanbul last week, even after what occurred at the American embassy and the possible coup d'etat allegations, that it still came as a surprise.

The city is quite stunning, especially to those who have never seen arab-like architecture.  It also has the unique distinction of being located between two continents.  A quick trip on a bridge and you're either in Asia or Europe.  It is divided into the Old and New Istanbul along with some other smaller districts.  Old Istanbul is where many of the most visited places by tourists are: the Hagia Sophia, the Sultan Ahmed Mosque (Blue Mosque), the Topkapi Palace, the Archeological Museum, the cisterns, etc..  The New Istanbul consists of newer buildings and is on the other side of the Golden Horn (the Halic).  My hotel, the Conrad, was located in the New Istanbul area where the Bosphorus is the main sight in view.  

 The airport I came into has got to be one of the most nerve racking ones I have ever been to.  You are checked, double checked, checked again, and once more just to make sure.  When our taxi cab finally got to the hotel, there was a man at the gates who, with a device hooked up to a long black pole and some 3D looking glasses, checked the entire cab for weapons and bombs.  Then, before entering the hotel, you have to go through security. Yes, this includes placing all of your luggage and bags into an X-ray machine, and then walking through metal detectors.  This had to be done every time you were entering the hotel.  At that point I wasn't sure whether to feel very safe or very unsafe.  It was all very alarming for someone who isn't used to all these sorts of security methods, however, I never felt I was in danger.  I enjoyed the city extensively; its food, its people, its architecture, its history, its prayers that are played throughout the city at different times of the day.  Everything was great.  Everything was stunning, entertaining, and interesting.  

On the way back, I ended up reading an article about those men who were accused of trying to take over the government, and it turns out it includes their current leader.  Apparently Turkey has a constitution that is rather secular, and this new leader has implemented some things that seem to point to his want of changing it a bit back to a mix of religion with government.  Turkey is a predominantly Muslim country but at the same time, it is much more liberal than most other predominantly Muslim countries.  There is a mix of people.  You see anything from women wearing a burqa to women with a typical western look.  It's almost as if the country were in some sort of transition where it isn't sure which way to go.  It's really interesting to see the division that exists in thought within it's people and then to read the news articles from the west.  To see these three past incidents happen within a couple of weeks is really unnerving and unfortunate because it is a beautiful country with a lot of potential.  It has the potential to show that change can happen if done correctly.  I truly hope that things calm down and are sorted out so that it can continue the path it is still on.  It is the country I have most enjoyed visiting and I hope that I will have the chance to return some day.

Note: In the photo you can see the Sultan Ahmed Mosque (Blue Mosque) in Istanbul.  The photo was taken just a few days ago.

No comments:

Archivos

'Ello!

Welcome to my (almost always boring) blog.
Enjoy!

Below you can see some of my videos posted on youtube. It's only a few right now and they're very random (I know) but as soon as I get sometime I will upload some better ones!